May 5, 2008

Thanks for the Money!

Well, apparently seven thousand other people also wanted to support brain tumor research yesterday at the eleventh annual "DC Race for Hope" in aid of the Brain Tumor Society and Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure. So many, in fact, that I didn't even pass the starting line until ten minutes after the first contestants. But it wasn't all about speed, which is just as well, since the lead runner past me on his return journey before I had even covered the first mile of the course.

The most important thing was the huge amount of money the event generated (a donation of a million dollars was announced just before the race commenced). Thanks once again to everyone who helped me to smash my sponsorship goal. With your help I raised $1,215, handsomely exceeding my target of $1,000, and my wildest expectations.

For those of you kind enough to inquire about my friend Sharon, her tumor turned out to be treatable with a combination of surgery and other therapies, and with luck she will be recovering from the surgery as I write this. I'm hoping that next year she can come to the race and join the other survivors. Thanks again for all your help!

No comments: